The Summer Salad Zeekraal (samphire) Burrata Salad
One sunny summer afternoon I accidentally found myself getting a little tipsy with the darling Ella of Doorstep Cafe on a terrace in Delfshaven (the now closed Fok). The flowing champagne meant some snacks were in order, S was along for the day and wanted to share fish with Ella - she was very excited when they were whitebait - look Mummy I'm eating fish with heads! I was very excited when the burrata came out - so simple, so good, it became my hit salad of the summer. Zeekral, burrata, olive oil, and something crispy - they used hazelnuts, which were perfect, but I use whatever I have already.
- 1 packet Zeekraal samphire in English
- 1 packet burrata
- 2 tbsp Ciao Bella
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts sub pumpkin seeds, almonds, pistachios
- Boil water and blanch zeekraal for 2 minutes
- Rinse through cold water - you could use an ice bath but I don't
- Drain the zeekraal well, drain the burrata well
- Your nuts/seeds must be toasted - toast them in a 180 oven, or in a dry frying pan until lightly browned and fragrant if they aren't already toasted
- Place the zeekraal on a plate. Top with the burrata. Scoop the Ciao Bella on top, and drizzle some around the zeekral. Sprinkle with your chosen nuts/seeds.
- Could it be easier? Enjoy and enjoy the compliments of all your friends.
Burrata - This is a soft Italian cheese - like a mozzarella skin filled with mascarpone. It's best enjoyed at room temperature. You could substitute mozzarella or stracciatella. Vegan - Sorry I've not found a good vegan cheese for this - please let me know if you do I'd love to try it! Photos: Photos for this recipe and styling by https://www.beautifulmorning.nl/